Comments for greepWars

mjrb4 writes (4 days ago):

Doesn't work for me... :(

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sat Oct 11 03:23:03 UTC 2008

kenshinakh writes (4 days ago):

Yeah, I just found out. I'm getting some strange error here though, the game would load just fine through the jar file. I'll notify you when I'm done fixing this.

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sat Oct 11 03:32:44 UTC 2008

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sat Oct 11 03:41:38 UTC 2008

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sat Oct 11 03:46:51 UTC 2008

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sat Oct 11 03:56:15 UTC 2008

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sat Oct 11 04:16:05 UTC 2008

kenshinakh writes (4 days ago):

I have reverted my game to my older version. Unfortunately this version is buggier at some parts, and laggier, but at least it works now. I'm going to backtrack now to figure out what when wrong.

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sat Oct 11 05:45:53 UTC 2008

kenshinakh writes (3 days ago):

Alright, I reuploaded a new version that has significant improvement. However, there appears to be an error with Greenfoot on using file inputs from text files. I'll see if I can make Greenfoot allow writing text files in exported jar files.

mik writes (3 days ago):

That explains the tomatoes - finally!

Great game.

(And, no, applets -that is Java programs running in a web browser- are not allowed to write files. That's a security feature against malicious code.)

Good job,

Michael

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Sun Oct 12 05:07:30 UTC 2008

kenshinakh writes (3 days ago):

Thanks mik for the tip.
I've uploaded a new version, this version allows you to save your progress by clicking on the save / load button.
Btw, there appears to be a slight glitch with the new feature, there are certain situations where save/load will causes the objects to appear in the wrong place.
Just wonder, how do you tell java to look at a text file in root directory of the java applet?

JL235 writes (2 days ago):

A really good first game, but I have a few suggestions. First put the speed bar up to about 3/4 of the way up, it's a lot smoother. Second improve the ships movement so it's more like proper asteroids. The forward and back buttons could increase or decrease speed and the player is constantly moving by this speed.

You could then try to make the players movement seperate from the direction of the ship. For example I could press forward, build up speed and start in that direction, then release forward, continue moving, then press left and turn 90 degrees but I continue moving in the original direction.

mjrb4 writes (2 days ago):

Another suggestion - when you die, why not make the ship invincible for a while and/or return to the centre? I just died 3 times in a row because it placed me right on top of the asteroid that kiled me the first time!

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Mon Oct 13 03:09:36 UTC 2008

kenshinakh writes (2 days ago):

thanks, I've implemented your suggestions. I also added a few new features to help cope with the physics.

davmac writes (yesterday):

Really good game. The thrust feels a little bit unresponsive though, and the ship appears to lurch when the rocket flame appears/disappears - I guess the images are different sizes? You could consider using a separate actor for the flame (though you'd need to position it well).

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Mon Oct 13 23:20:01 UTC 2008

kenshinakh writes (yesterday):

Thanks davmac for the advice. I implemented the idea, and it worked great, in fact, it made the game much less CPU intensive. So thanks.

Also, JL235, I've tried putting the speed bar up to 3/4, but it causes the game to become extremely speedy, so I guess the speed bar is different on different computers. That's why I allowed the game to have it's speed to be changed.

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Tue Oct 14 17:08:51 UTC 2008

A new version of this scenario was uploaded on Tue Oct 14 19:44:48 UTC 2008

chuweni writes (8 hours ago):

Nice game!!! Its really interesting, the Greeps are cool, i liked it better without the drifting and acceleration well thats my opinion.

chuweni writes (8 hours ago):

mjrb4 writes (7 hours ago):

Liked it as in thought it was better or liked it because it was easier that way? ;)

The Greenfoot Network:  Greenfoot.org    Greenfoot Gallery   Greenfoot-Discuss